1896 – 1930
The story of Russian Avant-Garde art may be the tale associated with the trip by rail from Moscow to Paris and again. Art flowed from Paris to Moscow and music artists traveled from Moscow to Paris. From 1896 there have been Russian exhibitions of new currents of European art–Impressionism, Symbolism, Fauvism, and Cubism—that brought the latest art motions to Russia. There were in addition numerous Russian artists in Paris, including Marc Chagall, Sonia Terk, and Luibov Popova. Various other Russian artists were in Germany, including Vasilly Kandinsky, who would return whenever Russian Revolution ended the power of the Tsars in 1917. Russian art mags disseminated brand-new ideas within the pages of The Golden Fleece as well as the Scales and Apollon. Besides, Russian artists had invitation-only accessibility essential choices of Impressionist and Post-Impressionist art seen in the selections of merchant princes, Ivan Morozov, whom bought from and in person knew the avant-garde performers of Paris, and Sergei Shchukin, whoever collection inspired the Russian Avant-Garde.
Sergei Shchukin began acquiring French avant-garde art by 1897 and had been well-known for his independency of dealers, his habit of purchasing art from musicians and artists’ studios as well as for his open-mindedness towards even the many daring art. He collected Gauguin, Monet, Cézanne, Matisse, Picasso, through to the Great War smashed out in 1914. Shchukin ended up being a personal enthusiast but unsealed their collection to musicians and artists weekly to the Revolution of 1917. Their famous dining room and beauty salon included masterpieces such as for instance Matisse’s Harmony in Red (1909), bought as Harmony in Blue but repainted because of the singer, which also performed two commissioned panels for the enthusiast, Music and Dance (1910). Shchukin left Russia following the Russian Revolution, without their fabulous collection, that was seized by the new government. Shchukin quit obtaining art and passed away in Paris in 1934. Maybe not until 1965 was this collection of French avant-garde art seen once more into the Hermitage Museum.